|CHIEF MASTER SERGEANT WILLIAM W. TURNER|
CHIEF MASTER SERGEANT WILLIAM W. TURNER
Chief Master Sergeant William W. Turner is the Command Chief Master Sergeant for the 27th Special Operations Wing, Cannon Air Force Base, New Mexico. He serves as the principal enlisted advisor to the Commander, 27th Special Operations Wing on all issues affecting the health, morale, welfare, professional development and effective utilization of more than 4,300 personnel directly supporting AC-130H Spectre aircraft, MC-130W Dragon Spear aircraft, multiple theater mobility aircraft, MQ-1 Predator, and the MQ-9 Reaper mission. The 27 SOW is responsible for preparing Air Force special operations forces for worldwide missions in support of Army, Navy, Marine and allied special operations forces and USAF counterparts. Wing missions include infiltration, exfiltration, re-supply, air refueling, and precision fire support. These capabilities support a variety of special operations missions including direct action, unconventional warfare, special reconnaissance, counter-terrorism, personnel recovery, psychological operations, re-supply and information operations.
Chief Turner enlisted in the Air Force in July, 1986. He began his career as an F-15 armament systems specialist, and retrained as an AC-130 gunship aerial gunner in 1991. Chief Turner has an extensive operational background. He has deployed in support of numerous contingencies, including nine deployments in support of Operations ENDURING FREEDOM and IRAQI FREEDOM. He is a chief enlisted aviator with over 3,400 flying hours on AC-130H Spectre and AC-130U Spooky aircraft, including more than 1,200 combat hours.
1993 Airmen Leadership School, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
1993 Associates in Applied Science, Armament Systems, Community College of the Air Force
1998 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
2001 Associates in Applied Science, Aviation Operations, Community College of the Air Force
2005 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Gunter AFB, Ala.
2007 Chief Leadership Course, Gunter AFB, Ala.
2008 Gettysburg Leadership Experience, Gettysburg, Penn.
2009 USAF Enterprise Management Seminar, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.
2009 Joint Special Operations Forces Pre-command Course, MacDill AFB, Fla.
2010 Keystone Fellow, Leadership Development Program, National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
1. July 1986 - September 1986, Trainee, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. September 1986 - December 1986, Aircraft Armament Systems Technical Training Course, Lowry AFB, Colo.
3. December 1986 - April 1988, F-15 Weapons Load Crew Member, 5th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, Minot AFB, N.D.
4. May 1988 - May 1991, F-15 Weapons Lead Standardization Crew Member, 18th Aircraft Generation Squadron, Kadena AB, Okinawa
5. June 1991 - November 1993, AC-130H Aerial Gunner, 16th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
6. November 1993 - September 1995, AC-130H Instructor Aerial Gunner, 16th Operations Support Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
7. September 1995 - February 1998, AC-130H Evaluator Aerial Gunner, 1996, 16th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
8. February 1998 - July 2000, AC-130U Instructor Aerial Gunner, 4th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
9. July 2000 - September 2001, HQ AFSOC NCOIC Deliberate Plans and Programs, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
10. September 2001 - April 2004, Operations Flight Chief, 4th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
11. April 2004 - June 2007, Squadron Superintendent, 4th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
12. July 2007 - August 2009, Superintendent, SecAF and CSAF Executive Action Group, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
13. August 2009 - Present, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 27th Special Operations Wing, Cannon Air Force Base, NM
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with seven oak leaf clusters, including two for Heroism
Aerial Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Combat Action Medal
Gallant Unit Citation
Combat Readiness Medal with four oak leaf clusters
1993 Distinguished Graduate/Military Citizen Award, Airmen Leadership School, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
1995 Noncommissioned Officer of the Year, 16th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
1998 Distinguished Graduate, Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
1998 Noncommissioned Officer of the Year, 4th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
1999 Lance P. Sijan Leadership Award Winner, 16th Special Operations Wing, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2002 SNCO Professional of the Year, 16th Operations Group, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2006 Lance P. Sijan Leadership Award Winner, 16th Special Operations Wing, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Airman, Jan. 23, 1987
Airman First Class, Nov. 23, 1987
Senior Airman, Jan. 23, 1989
Staff Sergeant, Apr. 1, 1993
Technical Sergeant, June 1, 1998
Master Sergeant, Mar. 1, 2002
Senior Master Sergeant, Mar.1, 2005
Chief Master Sergeant, Dec. 1, 2007
(Current as of May 2010)