|COLONEL ALBERT M. "BUCK" ELTON II|
Colonel Albert M. "Buck" Elton II is the commander of the 27th Special Operations Wing, Cannon Air Force Base, N.M. He is responsible for preparing Air Force Special Operations Forces to support and execute joint special operations missions worldwide. The 27 SOW has over 4,500 Air Commandos and is equipped with a variety of specialized aircraft, including the AC-130W, MC-130J Commando II, AC-130H Spectre gunship, MQ-1B Predator, MQ-9 Reaper, CV-22B Osprey, PC-12 Pilatus, and M-28 Skytruck. These aircraft execute specialized mobility, precision strike, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance missions in support of special operations forces.
Born in Fort Rucker, Ala., Colonel Elton was commissioned in 1989 upon graduation from the U.S. Air Force Academy and was awarded his wings through Undergraduate Pilot Training at Reese AFB, Texas. He has commanded special operations forces at the squadron and group and twice at the expeditionary group level and has staff positions within Air Force Special Operations Command and United States Special Operations Command. .
1989 Bachelor of Science, USAF Academy, Colo.
1995 Air Force Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1996 Master of Aviation Science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
2000 Aircraft Mishap Investigation Course, Air Force Safety Center, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2001 Advanced Instrument School, Randolph AFB, Texas
2002 U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2008 National Defense Fellowship, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, Calif.
2009 Joint and Combined Warfighting School, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1. 1989 - 1990: Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Reese AFB, Texas
2. 1991 - 1994: Aircraft Commander, 37th Tactical Airlift Squadron, Rhein-Main AB, Germany
3. 1994 - 1998: Evaluator Pilot, 15th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
4. 1998 - 1999: Evaluator Pilot, 550th Special Operations Squadron, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
5. 1999 - 2001: Fixed Wing Chief, 58th Operations Group Standards and Evaluation, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
6. 2001 - 2002: Student, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
7. 2002 - 2004: Fixed Wing Branch Chief and J35 Planner, U.S. Special Operations Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
8. 2004 - 2005: Operations Officer, 8th Special Operations Squadron, Duke Field, Fla.
9. 2005 - 2007: Commander, 7th Special Operations Squadron, RAF Mildenhall, United Kingdom
10. 2007 - 2008: National Defense Fellowship, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, Calif.
11. 2008 - 2009: Chief, Strategic Planning Division, Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
12. 2009 - 2011: Commander, 1st Special Operations Group, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
13. 2011 - present: Commander, 27th Special Operations Wing, Cannon AFB, N.M.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
2002-2004: Fixed Wing Branch Chief and J35 Planner, U.S. Special Operations Command, MacDill AFB, Fla
2006: Deputy Commander, Combined Joint Special Operations Air Component, Balad, Iraq
2009: Commander, Joint Special Operations Air Component, Port au Prince, Haiti
2010: Commander, Combined Joint Special Operations Air Detachment, Bagram , Afghanistan
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 4,300 total flying hours, 800 instructor hours and 250 evaluator hours
Aircraft Qualified: C-130E, MC-130H, MC-130E, MQ-1B Aircraft Flown (Primary Time): MH-53, UH-1N, MC-130P, PC-12, Mi-17, Casa-212, DHC-6, M-28, AC-130U, U-28A, MC-130W, CV-22, Do-328, T-6A, MC-130J
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star with one device
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with one device
Meritorious Service Medal with three devices
Air Medal with one device
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Meritorious Unit Award with three devices
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with valor
National Defense Service Medal with one device
Southwest Asia Service Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal with two devices
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant - May 1989
First Lieutenant - May 1991
Captain - May 1993
Major - October 2000
Lieutenant Colonel - April 2004
Colonel - September 2008
(Current as of Jun 2012)