|COLONEL DAVID C. PIECH|
Colonel David C. Piech is the commander of the 27th Special Operations Mission Support Group at Cannon Air Force Base, N.M. The 27 SOMSG provides base support and services activities to ensure mission readiness of the 27th Special Operations Wing, including housing, facility construction and maintenance, food service, law enforcement, fire protection, communications, personnel support, lodging, recreation, environmental management, contracting, supply, transportation, logistics plans, and other base services.
Colonel Piech entered the Air Force in 1989 upon graduation from the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program at the University of Colorado at Denver. A career civil engineer, he has held several base and major command positions to include chief of maintenance engineering, Readiness Flight commander, officer in charge, Civic Action Team 99-03, Chuuk Federated States of Micronesia, executive officer to the Air Mobility Command civil engineer, commander, 447th Expeditionary Civil Engineer Squadron, Baghdad International Airport, Iraq, commander, 92nd Civil Engineer Squadron, Fairchild Air Force Base, Wash. and commander 30th Civil Engineer Squadron, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
1988 Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering, University of Colorado at Denver
1994 Master of Science, Engineering and Environmental Management, AFIT
1996 Squadron Officer's School,
2002 Air Command and Staff College
2006 Air War College
2010 Master of Strategic Studies, Air War College
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
- April 1990 - May 1993: Civil Engineer; 22nd Civil Engineer Squadron, March AFB, Calif.
- May 1993 - September 1994: Graduate Student, Graduate Engineering and Environmental Management Program, AFIT, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio.
- September 1994 - July 1999: Chief, Pollution Prevention; Deputy Chief Readiness Flight; Readiness Flight Commander; Chief, Maintenance Engineering; Operations Flight Commander; 3rd Civil Engineer Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska.
- July 1999 - April 2000: Officer In Charge, Civic Action Team 99-03, Chuuk, Federated States of Micronesia.
- April 2000 - October 2000: Chief, Maintenance Engineering, 3rd Civil Engineer Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska.
- October 2000 - May 2003: Program Manager; Executive Officer, Directorate of Civil Engineering, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
- May 2003 - July 2005: Civil Engineer Program Analyst, Programs Division, Office of The Civil Engineer, Headquarters United States Air Force, Washington D.C.
- July 2005 - March 2007: Commander, 92nd Civil Engineer Squadron, Fairchild AFB, Wash. (January - May 2006, Commander, 447th Expeditionary Civil Engineer Squadron, Baghdad International Airport, Iraq).
- March 2007 - July 2009: Commander, 30th Civil Engineer Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
- July 2009 - May 2010, Student: Air War College Class 2010, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- June 2010 - June 2011: Chief, Readiness Support Division, HQ AFCESA, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
- June 2011 - present: Commander, 27th Special Operations Mission Support Group, Cannon AFB, N.M.
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leak cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Unit Award with 1 device
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with 3 devices
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with 1 device
National Defense Service Medal with 1 device
Iraq Campaign Ribbon with 1 device
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with gold border
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant - June 21, 1989
First Lieutenant - June 21, 1991
Captain - January 17, 1993
Major - June 1, 2000
Lieutenant Colonel - July 1, 2005
Colonel - November 1, 2010