27TH SPECIAL OPERATIONS WING|
Printable Fact Sheet
The colors of the shield, Ultramarine Blue and Air Force Yellow, are the official colors of the United States Air Force. The blue represents the sky and space we dominate, and the yellow represents molten gold signifying the quality of Airmen assigned to the 27th Special Operations Wing. The clenched fist indicates strength. The magnolia is the state flower of Louisiana, where the 27th Bombardment Group (Light) was first organized.
Approved for 27th Group on 12 Sep 1940; and for 27th Wing on 11 Jul 1952
The 27th Special Operations Wing (27 SOW) at Cannon Air Force Base, N.M., is one of two Air Force active duty Special Operations wings within Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC).
The primary mission of the 27th Special Operations Wing is to plan and execute specialized and contingency operations using advanced aircraft, tactics, and air refueling techniques to infiltrate, exfiltrate, and resupply special operations forces and provide intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance, and close air support in support of special operations forces.
The wing's core missions include close air support, agile combat support, information operations, precision aerospace firepower, forward presence and engagement, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) operations, and specialized aerospace mobility.
The 27 SOW is a pivotal component of AFSOC's ability to provide and conduct special operations missions ranging from precision application of firepower to infiltration, exfilitration, resupply and refueling of special operations forces. In addition, the 27 SOW brings distinctive intelligence capabilities to the fight, including ISR, predictive analysis, and targeting expertise to joint special operations forces and combat search and rescue operations.
As of June 1, 2013, Cannon AFB employs around 4,800 military and 600 civilian personnel. The wing is divided into four groups:
27th Special Operations Group:
27th Special Operations Maintenance Group:
- 27th Special Operations Support Squadron
- 3rd Special Operations Squadron, MQ-1B Predator Remotely Piloted Aircraft
- 20th Special Operations Squadron, CV-22 Osprey
- 33rd Special Operations Squadron, MQ-9 Reaper Remotely Piloted Aircraft
- 73rd Special Operations Squadron, AC-130W Stinger
- 318th Special Operations Squadron, PC-12 Pilatus
- 16th Special Operations Squadron, AC-130H Spectre gunship
- 522nd Special Operations Squadron, MC-130J Commando II
- 524th Special Operations Squadron, Dornier Do-328
- 551st Special Operations Squadron, tenant unit
- 43rd Intelligence Squadron, tenant unit
27th Special Operations Mission Support Group:
- 27th Special Operations Maintenance Operations Squadron
- 27th Special Operations Aircraft Maintenance Squadron
- 27th Special Operations Equipment Maintenance Squadron
- 727th Special Operations Maintenance Squadron
27th Special Operations Medical Group:
- 27th Special Operations Civil Engineer Squadron
- 27th Special Operations Communications Squadron
- 27th Special Operations Contracting Squadron
- 27th Special Operations Logistics Readiness Squadron
- 27th Special Operations Security Forces Squadron
- 27th Special Operations Force Support Squadron
- 27th Special Operations Aerospace Medicine Squadron
- 27th Special Operations Medical Operations Squadron
- 27th Special Operations Medical Support
Point Of Contact: 27th Special Operations Wing, Public Affairs Office, 110 E. Alison Ave., Suite 1150; Cannon AFB, NM 88103; DSN 681-4131 or (575) 784-4131; e-mail: email@example.com