Skip to main content (Press Enter).
Cannon Air Force Base
Cannon Air Force Base
Search Cannon AFB:
Search Cannon AFB:
Request PA Support
27th Special Operations Group
27th Special Operations Mission Support Group
27th Special Operations Maintenance Group
27th Special Operations Medical Group
Wing Staff Agencies
27th SOW Commander
Colonel Stewart A. Hammons is the commander, 27th Special Operations Wing, Cannon Air Force Base, New Mexico. The 27th SOW plans, postures, and executes precision strike, specialized mobility and intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance missions with special operations forces. The wing is organized into four groups and 24 squadrons, and is equipped with 107 specialized aircraft, to include AC-130W, C-146, CV-22, MC-130J, MQ-1, MQ-9, PC-12 and U-28 aircraft. Additionally, the wing sustains a premier installation that supports operations, training, and the base's 5,700 Air Commandos and their families. The Air Commandos of the 27th SOW execute specialized airpower for operational commanders conducting special operations missions around the world, including direct action, unconventional warfare, special reconnaissance, counter-terrorism, personnel recovery, psychological operations, and information operations.
Prior to this assignment, Colonel Hammons was the commander of the 1st Special Operations Group located at Hurlburt Field, Florida. The 1 SOG plans and executes infiltration, re-supply, air refueling, combat aviation advisory, and precision fire support missions, employing 80 fixed-wing, rotary-wing and tilt rotor aircraft, including MC-130H, AC-130J, CV-22B, AC-130U, PC-12, and U-28A aircraft. The 1 SOG also provides USSOCOM with a focused and timely combat weather and Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance capability. Eight special operations squadrons and a detachment with nearly 1,700 Air Commandos from 80 different Air Force Specialty Codes provide full spectrum specialized airpower to combatant commanders executing special operations missions including direct action, foreign internal defense, unconventional warfare, special reconnaissance, counter-terrorism, personnel recovery, psychological operations, and information operations.
Since commissioning, he has served in a variety of flying and non-flying operational, educational, and staff assignments. Colonel Hammons has commanded at the squadron and group levels as Commander, 3d Special Operations Squadron, 27th Special Operations Wing, Cannon AFB, NM, and 1st Special Operations Group, Hurlburt Field, FL. He is a senior pilot with more than 2,000 hours, primarily in the MH-53, PC-12, and MQ-1.
Col Hammons has participated in numerous joint and coalition exercises and has flown more than 450 combat and combat support hours over Iraq and Afghanistan.
1994 Bachelor of Science in Engineering Psychology, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, CO
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, AL
2006 Air Command and Staff College (Correspondence)
2008 Master of Joint Campaign Planning & Strategy, Joint Advanced Warfighter School, National
Defense University, Norfolk, VA
2008 Air War College (Correspondence)
2013 Masters of Science in National Security Strategy, National War College, Ft. McNair, Washington
1. October 1994 – November 1997, Maintenance Officer, 450th Logistics Test Squadron, Edwards AFB, CA
2. November 1997 – April 1999, Maintenance Officer, 31st Special Operations Squadron, Osan AB, ROK
3. April 1999 – October 1999, Student Pilot, Undergraduate Pilot Training, 8th Flying Training Squadron, Vance AFB, OK
4. October 1999 – July 2000, Student Pilot, Undergraduate Pilot Training-Helicopter, Flying Training Squadron, Ft Rucker, AL
5. July 2000 – August 2001, MH-53J Mission Pilot Qualification Course, 551st Flying Training Squadron, Kirtland AFB, NM
6. August 2001 – February 2004, Chief of Current Operations, 21st Special Operations Squadron, RAF Mildenhall, UK
7. February 2004 – February 2006, A Flight Commander, 20th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, FL
8. February 2006 – July 2007, Flight Commander Group Current Operations, 1st Special Operations Support Squadron, Hurlburt Field, FL
9. July 2007 – August 2008, Student – Joint Advanced Warfighter School, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk NAS, VA
10. August 2008 – May 2010, Director of Operations, 318th Special Operations Squadron, Cannon AFB, NM
11. May 2010 – July 2012, Commander, 3rd Special Operations Squadron, Cannon AFB, NM
13. July 2012 - June 2013, Student, National War College, Ft McNair, Washington, D.C.
14. June 2013 – June 2015, Division Chief, Strategy Plans and Policy, Joint Staff J5/Pakistan Afghanistan Coordination Cell, Pentagon, Washington, DC.
15. June 2015 – May 2017, Commander, 1st Special Operations Group Hurlburt Field, Florida
16. June 2017 – Present, Commander, 27th Special Operations Wing, Cannon AFB, NM
Rating: Senior Pilot
Flight Hours: 2,000
Aircraft Flown: T-37, UH-1H, TH-53A, MH-53J, MH-53M, PC-12, DHC-8, M-28, MQ-1B
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with three Oak Leaf Clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with one Oak Leaf Cluster
Joint Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Combat Action Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant: June 1994
First Lieutenant: June 1996
Captain: June 1998
Major: October 2004
Lieutenant Colonel: June 2008
Colonel: September 2014