Col. Terence G. Taylor is the Commander, 27th Special Operations Wing, Cannon Air Force Base, New Mexico. The 27 SOW plans, postures and executes precision strike, specialized mobility, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance missions with special operations forces. The wing is organized into four groups and 24 squadrons equipped with specialized aircraft that includes the AC-130W, AC-130J, CV-22, MC-130J, MQ-9, PC-12 and U-28.
Col. Taylor attended the University of Virginia and received his commission through the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (AFROTC) in 1997. His prior assignments include an Air Force Fellowship where he was assigned to the Project on National Security Reform in Washington, D.C. Colonel Taylor commanded a selectively manned flying squadron within the Air Force Special Operations Command. The Colonel was also assigned as the Sensitive Activities Division Chief in the office of the Deputy Director for Special Operations and Counter-terrorism, J-37, Joint Staff, Washington, D.C.
Colonel Taylor has served in the State Department’s Counterterrorism Bureau, where he was responsible for directing and coordinating political and operational responses to international terrorism, and implementing America’s global counterterrorism policies through coordination with numerous U.S. Government departments and agencies. The Colonel has served as a United States Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) liaison officer at the Federal Bureau of Investigations, where he worked policy and response options in the Counter Weapons of Mass Destruction Directorate. Colonel Taylor also served as the deployed Combined Joint Special Operations Air Component Commander, Afghanistan (CJSOAC-A) on two occasions. Prior to his current position, the Colonel was the Commander, 1st Special Operations Group at Hurlburt Field, Florida.
1997 Bachelor of Science, Computer Science, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2004 Master of Arts, National Security and Strategic Studies, American Military University, Charles Town, W.Va.
2006 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2014 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2017 Master of Arts, Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. May 1997 - December 1997, Casual Lieutenant Program, Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.
2. January 1998 - June 1998, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
3. July 1998 - April 1999, Advanced Flight Training, Corpus Christi Naval Air Station, Texas
4. May 1999 - December 1999, C-130 Initial Qualification Training, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
5. Jan 2000 - May 2000, MC-130H Mission Qualification Training, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
6. May 2000 - May 2003, MC-130H Aircraft Commander, 15th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
7. May 2003 - August 2007, Evaluator Pilot, Air Force Special Operations Command, Geographically Separated Unit (GSU)
8. August 2007 - June 2010, Flight Commander, AFSOC, GSU
9. June 2010 - June 2011, Air Force Fellow, Project on National Security Reform, Washington, D.C.
10. June 2011 - November 2012, Operations Officer, Bureau of Counterterrorism, U.S. Department of State Washington, D.C.
11. December 2012 - June 2014, Operations Officer, AFSOC, GSU
12. June 2014 - June 2016, Commander, AFSOC, GSU
13. June 2016 - May 2017, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
14. May 2017 - May 2018, U.S. Special Operations Command, Special Operations Support Team, Federal Bureau of Investigations, Washington, D.C.
15. May 2018 - May 2019, Division Chief, Sensitive Activities, Deputy Director for Special Operations and Counter- terrorism, J-37, Joint Staff, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
16. May 2019 - May 2021, Commander, 1st Special Operations Group, Hurlburt Field, Fla. (October 2019 – January 2020 and September 2020 – December 2020, Commander, Combined Joint Special Operations Air Component, Bagram Air Base, Afghanistan)
17. June 2021 - present, Commander, 27th Special Operations Wing, Cannon AFB, N.M.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2011 – November 2012, Operations Officer, Bureau of Counterterrorism, U.S. Department of State, Washington, D.C., as a lieutenant colonel
2. May 2017 – May 2018, U.S. Special Operations Command, Special Operations Support Team, Federal Bureau of Investigations, Washington, D.C., as a lieutenant colonel
3. May 2018 – June 2019, Division Chief, Sensitive Activities, Deputy Director of Special Operations and Counterterrorism, J-37, Joint Staff, Pentagon, Washington, D.C., as a colonel
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 4,800, including more than 1,800 combat hours
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-44, C-130E, MC-130H, C-208, CN-235, BE-200, C-130H, MQ-9
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with twenty oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
(Current as of July 2021)