Colonel Brent A. Greer is the Vice Commander, 27th Special Operations Wing, Cannon Air Force Base, New Mexico. The 27 SOW plans, postures and executes precision strike, specialized mobility, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance missions with special operations forces. The wing is organized into four groups and 24 squadrons equipped with specialized aircraft that includes AC-130J, CV-22, MC-130J, MQ-9, PC-12 and the U-28.
Colonel Greer was born and raised in Southeast Michigan and graduated from the United States Air Force Academy, Colorado in 2001. He attended undergraduate pilot training at Moody Air Force Base, Georgia, and Columbus Air Force Base, Mississippi. Upon graduating from pilot training in 2003, he was assigned to the 4th Airlift Squadron at McChord Air Force Base, Washington. There he became an instructor aircraft commander in the C-17A and was part of the Prime Nuclear Airlift Force (PNAF) mission.
In 2007, Colonel Greer was assigned to an AFSOC selectively manned unit serving as instructor pilot and Chief of Safety. In 2011, Colonel Greer was assigned to an Air Operations Squadron at Pope Air Force Base, NC as the Assistant Director of Operations. In 2014, he was detailed to the US State Department as the Chief of Air Operations and as acting Military Advisor to the Executive Secretary. Following the State Department, Colonel Greer served as an AFSOC squadron operations officer and commander in a selectively manned Air Force Special Operations Squadron.
Prior to his current position, Colonel Greer attended the U.S. Air Force Air War College at Maxwell AFB, Alabama.
2001 - Bachelor of Science Degree in Human Factors Engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, CO
2008 - Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, AL
2010 - Master of Science Degree in Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Capella University, MN
2012 - Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, AL, by correspondence
2014 - Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, KS
2016 - Joint Professional Military Education Level II, Joint Forces College, Norfolk, VA
2022 - Master of Arts Degree in Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, AL
1. August 2001 - January 2002, Training Officer, 58th FS, Eglin AFB, FL
2. January 2002 - August 2002, T-6A Training Student, 3rd FTS, Moody AFB, GA
3. August 2002 - March 2003, T-1A Training Student, 48th FTS, Columbus AFB, MS
4. March 2003 - July 2003, C-17A Initial Qualification Course, 58th AS, Altus AFB, OK
5. July 2003 - April 2007, C-17A Instructor Aircraft Commander, Executive Officer, 4th AS, McChord AFB, WA
6. April 2007 - January 2010, Instructor Aircraft Commander, Chief of Safety, AFSOC, GSU
7. January 2010 - July 2013, Assistant Director of Operations, Fort Bragg, NC
8. July 2013 - June 2014, Student, Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, KS
9. June 2014 - July 2017, Chief of Air Operations, Bureau of Counterterrorism, US Department of State, Washington D.C.
10.July 2017 - July 2021, Director of Operations and Commander, AFSOC, GSU
11. July 2021 – July 2022, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, AL
12. July 2022 – Present, Vice Commander, 27th Special Operations Wing, Cannon AFB, NM
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2014 - July 2017, Chief of Air Operations, Bureau of Counterterrorism, US Department of State, Washington DC as a Major and Lt Colonel.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: 3800 hrs
Combat hours: 360 hrs
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Department of State Superior Honor Award
Defense Meritorious Service Medal two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal
Aerial Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
(Current as of August 2022)