CANNON AIR FORCE BASE, N.M. --
The temperature is rising, the birds are chirping, and the flowers and trees are blooming. What a perfect time to get out and enjoy the creation around us!
This May, National Physical Fitness and Sports Month, Air Combat Command challenges Airmen and family members everywhere to get moving for health.
We can all benefit from incorporating more movement into our daily lives. Adults need at least 30 minutes of activity five days a week, while children need at least 60 minutes of active play daily.
Here are some creative ways to increase your activity level:
· Use a push mower to mow the lawn
· Go for a walk in a nearby park
· Use the stairs instead of the elevator
· Bike to work, to run errands or visit friends
· Clean out the garage or the attic
· Walk with a friend over your lunch break
· Volunteer to become a coach or referee
· Sign up for a group exercise class
· Join a softball league
· Park at the farthest end of the lot
· Take your dog for a walk
· Start up a playground kickball game
· Join a sports team
· Go to the park with a friend
· Help your parents with yard work
· Play tag with kids in the neighborhood
· Ride your bike to school
· Walk to the store for your mom
· See how many jumping jacks you can do
· Race a friend to the end of the block
The President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports has developed the Active Lifestyle Program to encourage adults to increase their activity levels. Participants set personal goals, select desired activities, and perform these activities for at least 30 minutes a day for a minimum of 5 days a week. Progress can be tracked on the Activity Log, either online or print version at : www.presidentschallenge.org/pdf/pala_activity_log.pdf
For more information or to begin today, visit the Web site at: www.presidentschallenge.org/the_challenge/active_lifestyle.aspx.
Get Moving in May is for everyone. Visit the Youth Center for information on FitFactor or one of the many health and fitness activities available to youth 5 to 18 years, or visit www.afgetfit.com.
Seize this opportunity to take your current fitness status to the next level!